View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
Lucy's mom
Yorkie Yakker

I've been reading the posts regarding Rocky going after the yellow lab. My situation is a little different. My 9 year old black lab went after my 11 week old yorkie. The lab is and has always been really good, not aggressive and has always acted good around other dogs. The reason he went after Lucy (my yorkie) is because he had a toy in his mouth and she was being playful and started pouncing at him and he thought she was going after his toy and thought no way and he went after her. I don't know if he bit her but there seemed to be no physical injury, although she was screaming like there was but I checked her out. She has some issues going on right now since this incident like developing a phobia with eating, not sure why but I had a vet. check her out and they could find nothing wrong with her. But anyway, that is a different issue I'm trying to deal with. My main concern is that this lab of ours who has always been real good seems to dislike her getting near him. He is fine if she is not bugging him but once she seems to be heading his way, he has this low growl (he does not show his teeth, just growls). I tell him no and then I sit by him and make sure he feels he is getting attention. I really didn't think I would be dealing with this bringing her home especially since she is female and not a male where he would feel like he had to be dominant. After him going at her you would think she would be scared of him but she isn't; she keeps trying to get him to play. Any suggestions on how to get my lab to accept my yorkie? I've been trying to keep them apart; if I see her head towards him, I quickly go by him and tell him to be good but it scares me, one wrong move by her and she could be his lunch (80+ pounds vs 3 pounds). Should I continue keeping them separated until she is out of puppy stage or is there something else I should try???? Help!!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!