Thread: Fired
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #10
orinskye
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubletb
I work in a school now as the principal's secretary. We have many (what we call) ESE classes. (Exceptional Student Education) It is very unfortunate that they pulled you and I know you are 100% right about the children getting into and staying in a routine. But our district office insists that if we have an opening, it is better to fill it with a certified teacher than someone who has a bond with these children. It is sad to think that these students will be very lost for a long time after you had to leave them. Maybe you can ask if you can work with the new teacher for a few weeks, so the students can get use to her.
It isnt a teaching position....... i was an instructional assistant, i agree that they probably thought it was better to fill the position with a permanant person, but as far as certification goes..... she has NO qualifications... she has no ECE units, she has never worked in a school.... i am certified to be a pre-k Teacher (not just an instructional assistant) but i am going for my regular elementary education credential..... so in terms of qualifications, i have way more than she does, BUT, she can have the permanant status and i cant (even though i could stay there permanantly since i dont have anything to do in the morning).....
this is a WHOLE OTHER ISSUE though, they have done this to me before (with the same teacher last year) and the person that took over lasted 3 days (she just walked out... didnt tell the teacher, the office, NO ONE), they wanted her because she could go permanant but she ovbiously wasnt the better choice because it was too much for her. . . THey need people so badly that they are hireing everyone that they can and not looking into what kind of 'qualifications' that they have... last i checked they had 21 open instructional assistant positions and they have filled all of those by this monday, i would estimate that about two thirds of those people that they just hired will quite within a few weeks... some people just cant take the stress and constant needs/changes that are in an everyday classroom... the problem comes in when they are so busy looking for someone (anyone really) to fill the positions they dont look at "what they are made of, what background they come from" ect.... My story happens so often in the district, and i can predict what will happen next because it happened last time: this woman that they got (with no experience) comes into the classroom expecting to play with kids and get paid, unfortunatly in this case she will be looking after a (sometimes violent) child who will need from time to time to be restrained (most people are not comfortable with this)... she will see that it is not what she expected and move on, and in the meantime they took a perfectly good person out of that position so that someone else (with permanant status) can come in for a week or two and tehn quit....
I agree with your observation on some sort of "credentialing", they shoudl make it MANDATORY to have youre ECE units (i think our district is nine) done, our district hires with no ece units and asks if you are going to complete some and then they never check again. They should make it so that the ECE units have to be COMPLETED
orinskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!