Thread: Fired
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
orinskye
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydergurl
Did you try to hire on as permanent? Where in Cal are you? I am near Bakersfield.
Are you trying to get another job now or what? Good luck to you.
It's a tricky situation..... I am a permanant person in the AFTERNOON from 12-3 with a different teacher, i allready requested to be hired on as permanant for the morning position that i had but they turned me down and said "we can not allow you to work full time hours or we would have to give you free benefits" so, as a substitute i was obligated to count my days and do 19 mornings on and one morning off... again, i said i would wave the benefits (i have benefits through my mom....) but they said that was not an option. It was really within their interests to leave me be in that position for as long as i wanted it because i could work moday-friday mornings, and as a substitute they did not have to pay me sick time, vacation time, or holiday pay. (so essentialy they would be saving money, and i am a reliable person so i would be at work everyday... i hardly ever call in sick)
I work with the capo unified school district, i worked in san juan (for morning) and i work in aliso viejo (afternoon).... there really is no other jobs to be had, i allready requested another long term sub postition but they didnt have any available... my only option is to take sub jobs as they come in
The whole situation is delicate because it has to do with so many other factors...... i allready called the teacher and she said that if it didnt work out with this other lady she would raise bloody hell to get me back because i am such an asset to her.......
I am of the opinion that this child is high functioning autistic, HOWEVER i cant legally make a diagnosis because i am not qualified to do so.. i have worked with these type of kids before and he has several "characteristics" that autistic kids would have.... and if it isnt that it is deffinatly SOMETHING, the problem comes in that he is so SMART. He knows his alphabet, numbers, if you give him a nonsense word he will be able to deduce what letter the word starts with, he was able to recognize everyones written name by the first week, he knows how to sighn the alphabet and numbers up until 28, he can associate letters (such as E as in egg, D as in drum, ect...) Parents have a choice as to wether or not they want their child assesed, i dont think that these parents will stand up and say "we want amanda back" because they are low income and they are just happy to have a place to stick this child so they can work and make money, ...... the whole situation is pretty sad, surprisingly though, i dont feel as bad for myself as i do for the teacher who is going to have to deal with a new aid and saul
As for me, it is a blessing in disguise really, i have tests coming up next week and need some time to study, and i was getting really burnt out because i worked full time during the day, went to school full time at night, and then every other ounce of free time i spent studying .... im not worried about it though, i honestly dont think that this new aid will last long when she realizes that she has to tail this child for the whole day (especially if he has a day like last wendnesday.... i still have bruises all over my legs )
I was mad at first, yes, because i was comfortable there and it was "mine", but once i took a step back and thought about it i began to feel differently. This has been an opportunity to see how much of an asset i am in the classroom (due to the teachers anger about the new situation) and i can go back to working with a variety of teachers........ besides..... i think if i get too bored or dont have that much to do in the morning as far as work goes, i will go back and volunteer in the classroom
orinskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!