Thread: Problems
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
puppy_Love08
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrie View Post
Oh my, you must be tired!!

It seems his freedom must be restricted. Keep him blocked in the family room where he can be watched at all times. If he can't be watched, then he needs to be in a safe place (ex pen, crate, etc.) Only when he becomes successful in the family room can you expand his area. The idea is to catch him in the act and correct it. He's already learned that he can go behind your back - so all eyes on him or put him up.

We taught Bailey to ring a service bell to go outside - and yes, she sometimes abuses the bell. Its okay to say "no" if you're certain that he is abusing his outside requests. I'd say once an hour is sufficient - otherwise he's just bored and wants to go outside.

Wanting to go outside at 3 or 3:30 a.m.? Is he really going pee? If so, then I would continue to let him out. If not, then tell him to shhh and don't cave to his middle-of-the night tantrums (it might take more than shhh at first - use your "I'm not kidding" voice!). That said, its important to get up the same time each morning to let him out. We get up at 5:30 every day (weekends too) for consistency. Often Bailey is up at 4:30 or so and she just sits there and waits for us to get up. She used to wander on the bed and give us yorkie kisses to wake us up (sometimes she'd just put her nose to my nose and breathe on me until I woke up - LOL)- but we put a stop to that. Now she just sits there patiently and waits for the alarm. On the weekends, we get up, let her out, feed her and go back to bed within 10 minutes.... no prob.

Good luck!!
Yes, he actually pees and sometimes poops at 3-3:30 in the morning! This morning he woke me up at 5 a.m., and he pottied outside. Then about an hour later, he started barking again to go out. I ignored it this time, and he finally got quiet. He sleeps in his crate at night, so if he does need to potty, he does need to wake me up. And, yes, I'm very tired.
puppy_Love08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!