View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #57
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

P.S. - Beauty has nothing to do with breeding. Sammy is absolutely beautiful. She also doesn't conform to the standard (she is too long, Yorkie bodies should be a square) and she has grade 3 LP's. If your girlfriend didn't understand that sentence, she should not be breeding her dog. Breeding just to sell puppies is wrong. Did you know that often times Yorkies only have 1 or 2 puppies and vet bells and other expenses (like genetic testing, she will have him tested, won't she? oh and a C-SECTION) can far outpace the "profit" from the puppies.

There are the usual problems that come up, like liver shunt or luxating patellas. There are also rarer genetic conditions. Loki has a genetic disorder that requires medicine that costs $130 A MONTH. For the rest of his life. Is she prepared for something like that?

Also - typically the owner of the FEMALE is the one who sells the puppies. The owner of the male traditionally gets a small stud fee OR pick of the litter. The stud fee *will* be small since your dog is neither a proven "breeder" meaning no one knows what quality his puppies will be, nor is he a champion. You don't have to be on Westminster to be a champion - people who show their dogs attend local competitions to see if their dog measures up to the standard. Someone who has been breeding for a long time can pick out these qualities, but someone who is just a "dog owner" typically cannot. I love both of my dogs and I think they are gorgeous but I would never breed them.

I don't mean to pick on you - SHE is the one pushing this. But you should bring up these issues to see how educated she is on the subject. For example, you say she think she will get $800-$900 a puppy (which she won't, since she owns the male) but what if the female has 2 puppies and needs a C-section, does she know how much that costs? She should call a local vet and ask. More importantly, an owner of a female who will breed to an "unproven" male is likely as uneduated as your girlfriend on the subject, which complicates matters even more. I would strongly encourage you to bring up these issues with her, because perhaps she will re-consider getting your boy neutered which will help tremendously with your problem!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!