View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #48
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster View Post
Boy I just disagree about that. I'll agree that we may have waited too long, but punishment has worked with every dog I've ever owned. All of them have been very fond of me (mostly English Setters, but also Cocker Spaniels and an Irish Setter). I've never owned a Yorkie though.

I'm thrilled he ran, hid and was afraid. It means he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt he doesn't need to be going inside. He'll continue to get that treatment every time, just like how he gets a treat every time he does go outside when he's supposed to.

Part of it is not being use to these dogs. My girlfriend's dog is 18 months old and before I started working with him a month and a half ago, you'd take him outside and he'd come right back upstairs and pee on the carpet right in front of you 15 minutes later. That is UNACCEPTABLE behavior. Part of me wonders if my girlfriend just did nothing the first 18 months to train him, because he had no idea he was being bad 6 weeks ago.

There is absolutely no physical harm done to the dog by rubbing his face in it and I don't care if he doesn't like me so long as he doesn't pee on everything and my girlfriend is happy with him. He means EVERYTHING to her and she means everything to me, so its up to me to make sure I don't end up living in pee.

Sorry so long...
No, shoving his face in it won't make him know it's not okay to go inside... it will make him HIDE it when he's inside so that YOU don't see it and punish him. He won't know the difference and probably thinks your just screaming at him and shoving his face in his poop because he went. That leads dogs to not want to go in front of you even outside cuz they think they're gonna yelled at for reliving themselves.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!