View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinell View Post
Yes!!! I agree about the theft - so very scary as, like you, I think my Yorkie would happily go with someone else for a while ... but only after a while realize we were not around and get sad/cry. Too late!! We don't let our dog out of our sight ... he is never without us and we don't have tags yet - but have a microchip. I will not put his name on the tag as then people will know his name to keep him as their own. I am seriously considering, when I get tags, adding a false statement like *serious medical condition: requires daily medication - call ###-###-#### immediately*. Not honest - but I don't want anyone keeping my dog for any amount of time so the sooner they call me, the better.
I did put Bella's name on hers, because I reasoned that she would go to them whether they knew her name or not. And, just knowing her name isn't going to prove ownership (after all, they can't ask Bella what her name is really!) I put her name on there so that if she is ever LOST (to me stolen is a moot point really), she may be more comfortable until she can be with me again if she at least hears her name. But like I said, #1 a person wouldn't see her name until she was already with them, and #2 I don't think NOT having her name would do any good anyway.

Her ID tag has:
Name
My CELL # (not home, in case I'm out looking for her god forbid!)
"REWARD! NEEDS MEDS!"
"MICROCHIPPED"

Those last 3 things are there to hopefully get her back. She is microchipped, but the person who "finds" her doesn't need to know either her chip # or even the company the chip is with...the person who scans her will know all that information. I have heard stories where a chip # was on the tag, and then the finder had the info changed to their info without ever having to have the dog scanned, thereby making it more difficult for the true owner to prove ownership. I do like having simply "microchipped" on there, because I'm hoping that's just one more deterrent for the person when deciding whether they will call and get that reward or just keep her!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!