View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
I think we have to be a little careful when making correlations or assumptions like this (not saying you are making the assumption, Ladymom , but that maltese owner). Because, I don't think there is proof that the cause of the Maltese's problem was just diet (despite the bloodwork), nor was there proof in Lacy's case. Fatty liver is often idiopathic - in both dogs and humans.

What is possibly more likely is that both these dogs had some kind of predisposition toward these disease states, just waiting for the right trigger - if it ever came. *Boom*, the trigger was introduced and a health issue was instigated.

Of the same vein, think of diabetes - say one of these dogs, unknowingly, had a genetic vulnerability toward diabetes and this particular owner chose a high grain/carb diet for this dog, the dog becomes obese bc it cannot properly process carbs - diabetes sets in. Is it the fault of the diet? No, not directly. It's a combination of nurture and nature - as are almost *all* disease states. In this case - a scenario could unfold here at YT where all of a sudden everyone was in an alarmist state saying "DON'T feed high carb/grain diets - they *cause* diabetes!" - and that's simply not true.

That's how myths get started and I just think we should be careful there - we've seen it here before. Such as the myth that high protein diets cause kidney/liver issues - we all know that's not true, yet the myth prevails.

My point is, I hope we're all careful in blaming this diet, or that diet, or Petzlife (a possible suspect, initially, in Lacy's case), or this product, or that product as the cause of a disease state. It's almost never that simple. I mean no offense, it just concerns me quite a bit.
You are absolutely right. I didn't word that right. I shouldn't have said that Quincy's high triglycerides were caused by Evo because that can't be proven.

Anyway you can delete my post?
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!