View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespandp View Post
hmm Hey Ellie May..what vax's do you give your furbaby??
Because Ellie needed emergency treatment after a vaccine once and because she has liver issues, her schedule isn't realistic for most people. That is, when dogs are hospitalized most vets require bordatella. Ellie's vet lets us skip it, etc.

If I had a healthy dog, I would do rabies pup shot, then one year later, then every three years (to comply with MI law). I would do distemper, parvo and hepatitis and possibly parainfluenza three times as pup shots starting no earlier than 8 or 10 weeks, then a one year booster (never given on the same day as rabies) and then I'm not sure after that. Titering every year may be a good way to go for some dogs. I am finding that Ellie has a chronically low distemper titer and I know she is protected, so this doesn't work for everyone. You could also just do the DHPP every three years or after the one year booster, some would say the dog is protected for life... It depends on your and your vet's comfort level. What I would absolutely not do is vaccinate every year. The other ones should only be given if absolutely necesssary and, in my opinion, corona and giardia never fall into that category. Lepto and lymes rarely do for Yorkies.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!