View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Deegan's mom
YT 1000 Club Member

Question Calling all owners of Liver Shunt babies

I have a dilemma... Since adopting Trooper and doing some research and learning more about Liver Shunt, I'm a little confused and hesitant as to whether or not I should be giving him the normal annual vaccines and flea & heartworm meds. He had liver shunt surgery in July '08 and his vet and the surgeon both feel that he's a normal dog and can have his shots, but I also joined a Yahoo Group where they lived and learned through experience of having ls dogs and they say that giving a liver compromised dog those shots & meds are not good at all and can do more harm than anything.
Before I adopted him the rescue group got all of his shots as per the vet/surgeon, except his rabies because apparently it would counteract something, so they said that he couldn't have that done until '09.
I'm so torn... If I do and it makes him sick, I will feel horrible, but if I don't and he gets sick from some other disease or gets a parasite or something, I'll still feel horrible and like I didn't protect him...
Has anyone been through this and what are your opinions?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!