Thread: Service Dog??
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #23
chattiesmom
Donating YT 10K Club Member

I did a Yahoo Search on service dogs and came to this site: service-dog.org . Provided is a state-by-state listing of laws regarding service dogs. If you are interested, you will have to scroll down the menu bar on the left side of the page - go to State Laws - and from ther pick your state.

The Georgia law has a very specific definition for a Service/Assistance dog. If I am reading the Ga Code correctly, an assistance dog is defined as follows:

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Assistance dog" means a dog that is or has been trained by a licensed or certified person, organization, or agency to perform physical tasks for a physically challenged person. Assistance dogs include guide or leader dogs that guide individuals who are legally blind; hearing dogs that alert individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to specific sounds; and service dogs for individuals with disabilities other than blindness or deafness, which are trained to perform a variety of physical tasks, including, but not limited to, pulling a wheelchair, lending balance support, picking up dropped objects, or providing assistance in a medical crisis.

I could not find anything in our code that discusses dogs that provide services for "mental disabilities". I am sure that there are provisions, I just can't find them. Hope this helps.
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!