View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
bonsust
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Flea Preventative

I used Comfortis Flea pill in both my Yorkies for months. I loved it, the convenience, no mess, no fuss. But my smaller one began having some strange symptoms. We were at a loss to figure out what was wrong with him. It appeared he had pain but could tell if it was skeletal or what. So x-rays were done - nothing. Blood work - nothing but a bile acids test was done and his were bordering on the high side. I had an ultrasound done and that showed symptoms of IBD. I put him on a strict diet and medication and all was going well until I gave him his last Comfortis pill in mid December. Within two hours, the shortest duration that symptoms had shown up ever, he was in agony. The Comfortis gave him severe stomach pains and this would go on for hours. I had already given the pill, how do I get it back out of him? So I vowed to keep an eye on things and when he was due for another spell, minus the Comfortis pill, I would know. Sure enough, that was the last pain episode he had so he will never get another, neither of my boys will ever have Comfortis again.

I work in a vet office and since my discovery, there have been four other cases, three of them Yorkies or Yorkie mixes, who also have adverse reaction to Comfortis just in our office alone. Through our drug rep. I have heard that the company is pulling its Comfortis for smaller breeds.

I just wanted to alert people and to find out how many other people with Yorkies or small dogs are having problems.
bonsust is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!