View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
masaemasae
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloverosie View Post
I work monday to friday and normally my boyfriend takes care of her in the daytime. Unfortunately, he is going away for a few months to work so I'll have to figure something out in the meantime. I think leaving her in her crate all day is depriving her of her playtime. Should I keep her in one room and put peepads down. Also, my boyfriend is worried since we've only had Rosie for a few weeks that being gone for 2 months will affect his relationship with Rosie. What are your opinions on this?
I understand what you are going through. My husband and I have a 3 month old puppy. Do you work far?

My puppy stays in an area that is puppy-proofed with a baby gate (kitchen to be exact). She has her pee pee pad in one corner (away from her bed and play area). She also sleeps there at night so she is used to the area as her home (I have learned early when my parents had a chihuahua that it's not good to sleep with your puppy. Higher chance of having an separation axiety). She never goes on the carpet so she has mastered the potty training as well.

If you can, I would come back during lunch or have a family member stop by. We try not to leave her for more than 5-6 hours. We spread her toys all over her area when we are gone. And when we are home, she plays with us and the toys are put away (that way when she sees the toy, she's busy with it for awhile). I don't really leave my puppy with a bone when I'm gone since I don't want her to chew unsupervised, puppies can accidentally choke on bones. My husband and I also walk her in the morning before leaving. This is our little schedule:

7AM-feed her (my husband and I get ready for work)
7:30AM-walk her around 2 blocks (she poops)
8AM-work
12PM-lunch (one of us or both come back)
6PM-we return and feed her, walk her.

Around 9-10PM we usually walk her again. If you leave your puppy home and she sleeps while you are gone, by the time you get home, the puppy is ready to play. So we walk her again. Our little one gets walks 2-3 times a day. And we brush her usually before going to bed.

It seems like a lot of work but trust me, if you get the routine down you will be fine. If you can't come back for lunch, definitely try to have someone come and check up on your puppy. I would evertually like to send my puppy to a day care but she's not done with all her shots and she needs to get spayed before going there. I work so I understand. When I'm at work, I'm on this forum trying to kill time and thinking about my baby.

Good luck
masaemasae is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!