View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
jasmanea
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie Man View Post
At 2 days old it can be hard to tell about their overall vigor if there's no weight gain. You can try pulling up on the skin on the back to see if it has good spring back. Compare the little one's skin reaction to the more vigorous pups. If her skin is slower to spring back than the others', she is not as well hydrated as she should be so should be supplemented. Also, just compare her to the other pups for general vigor. She shouldn't feel limp or in any way weaker than her littermates. If she's not gaining she should not have her tail and dew claws done. I had a very small one back in October that was slow to gain (even with supplemental hand feedings). The vet waited on her until she was 15 days old to do her tail and claws. He explained that size and vigor were key to his decision to hold off and that it wasn't more traumatic on her to wait since her development was slower than her littermates. She went through the procedure just fine and today, at 4 months old, she is a 1 1/2 furball of energy. Best of luck with your little one.
Thanks for the info :-) Her skin seems fine. My vet is very particular about having them done by the 4th day at the latest so I will have to speak w/ him about that. I did not know you could wait that long.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!