View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
SissaYSU
Senior Yorkie Talker

Sad my poor yorkie is so sick :(

I know it seems the only time I ever write on here is when my dog is sick, but nobody else seems to understand unless they too are a dog owner.

I had to rush my 11-year-old yorkie to the vet today. I don't live at home (about five minutes away) but I had been home this weekend and saw he had had diarrhea starting on Saturday. He had been eating/drinking okay and wasn't acting funny until today when I had talked to my mom. She had to be in Cleveland said that she was having a family friend check in on him because he wasn't eating his food, he had vomited 5-6 times last night and still had diarrhea. When I got out of class, I called the lady who was staying with him for the day and she said she had to run home to let someone in and was heading right back to my parents' house to be with him. She got there and called me and told me had to go in. He was, at that point, "acting haggard" as she put it. I called the vet as I was speeding home and they told me to bring him in right away.

When he goes to the vet, usually he is all worked up and panting and shaking uncontrollably and is usually inconsolable. When I brought him in today, all he did was just lay in my arms and not care. I tried to put him down on the floor to see if he would at least walk back into the examination room with me, but he just looked up at me with the saddest eyes. Took him in to the room and was found he was dehydrated, his bowel was inflamed and his stomach was making all kinds of noises. They took him back for a while to get fluids in him and give him shots and brought him back out to me. Within a few minutes he was walking a little bit and then started getting anxious about the vet.

Right now, they are treating him for gastroenteritis but took blood to run something called a "CPL" to check for pancreatitis. He didn't get into anything as I asked the lady on my way to get him and she said she looked all over and found no wrappers or any trash. My mom said she had thrown a chocolate bar in the trash in her room but in order for him to get there, the trash can would need to be knocked over, and it never was...that and the trash was taken out Sunday, so if he had somehow managed to get neatly into the can and get the candy, it's been 48 hours and he probably would've been a lot sicker.

He is on a medication for vomiting, another to coat his stomach and some over-the-counter Pepcid (1/4 of a 10mlg tablet). He is also on a "bland diet" with some special soft food where he gets 1/2 a can over a period of a day for four days. He has to stop his Enalapril (heart medicine) and Previcox (arthritis medicine) and another antibiotic (he had a bladder infection not too long ago) until he is on these meds for a while, and no longer vomitting.

It's so upsetting. I have never EVER seen him look so sad. He looked up at me with these huge, tired, eyes and his ears were down and back. After they gave him fluid and a shot, he moved around a little and his ears perked up (guessing it was the fluids or he somehow got onto some adrenaline kick). He can't eat anything until noon tomorrow then we start with the canned food. No hard food or table food.

Has anyone ever had a dog sick like this? Or with pancreatitis? When the vet mentioned that I got worried because I always thought that that was a death sentence for dogs. Not sure why. My mom is to call the vet tomorrow to get the results from that test. She has one doctor's appointment tomorrow she can't miss (she is recovering with a broken wrist that needed a plate inserted into it...if she could miss a dr's appointment to stay with him, she said she would...but she just can't miss this one) so she asked the lady to stay with him till she got back.

Nobody understands. A few do but others think I'm blowing it out of proportion...I mean I was crying when I called them and they were like "ooook..." I know everyone on here would understand just how terrifying this is for me
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!