View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
yorkiesmiles
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Becoming a parent does change who you are in many ways - you have to grow up in a whole new way!

I think if you are hesitant you need to pay attn to why you feel that way. I know I went from wanting to have a big family to wanting to have none. But that none was out of selfishness - because i was enjoying my life so much.

Then God sent me my daughter - she was an angel - she is still an incredible child - never rebellious until a bit of it when she turned 18 last yr & was off to a very elite university -- but really, I think that was more about her trying to figure out who she is as a young adult.

I wish I had 5 more of her at least!

I would encourage you to look at the reasons you want to have a child now. Is it that you are afraid, it's now or never; or do you feel pressure from friends & family?

Good parenting comes from committed, caring, consistent, loving people. Are you at a point where you can commit the rest of your life to caring for your child and offering them consistency in discipline, love, time? I think having the time and willingness to give up some of the things you love is important. You still need to have time for yourself, but parents who focus too much on their own needs usually ended up with a child who acts out.

That acting out on the part of a child - is almost 100% a call to be loved - children continually ask "do you love" - they do that in a variety of ways. But that is what their actions ask daily. Are you ready to love a child unconditionally?

The best parenting book I ever read is "How to Really Love Your Child" by Ross Campbell. This book is fantastic - I would even suggest you read it, ask yourself, am I capable of parenting in this manner - if the answer is yes, then I would definitely say start preparing your body for motherhood. (I only disagreed with one thing in the book - that was spanking)

Last edited by yorkiesmiles; 01-31-2009 at 10:14 AM.
yorkiesmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!