View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
suzeb29
Yorkie Yakker

Default Pet Store Visit... SUPER SAD

I am not looking to purchase until April, but I always love looking at puppies.

My cousin called me and said she had been to a place that had Yorkies. I walked in and it SCREAMED PUPPY MILL! OMG I want to cry right now it was HORRIBLE. All puppies were in large wooden pens. About ten puppies per pen, with one food bowl, and one unclean water bowl. There were about 8 pens... so were talking 60-80 puppies. (No Yorkies) All seemed to be "designer" breeds... ShiPoo, MaltiPoo, ShiChon, Morkie, etc. They had a few full breeds, Bichons, Chihuahuas, Pugs, and Cavalier King Charels Spaniels. These puppies were all in litter. There was no bathroom area, and no where for the feces/urine to go. There were no blankets, no sleeping area, no toys, and not one puppy barked while we were there (A whole 5 minutes.) There was the exception of the Shih Tzu's who were fighting, very loudly, which the girl working there ignored. I feel horrible, I know these are sick dogs. The Bichons weren't even white anymore. All the dogs were incredibly tear stained and they all looked soooo sad. The stench was unimaginable.
I went to another place that I had seen online and SAME THING!!! It is DISGUSTING, and I want to rescue each and everyone of these poor furbabies. Is there anything that can be done? If these pet stores are purchasing from puppy mills can they be shut down. Are there board of health laws. Where should I be complaining? Because I thoroughly intend to complain to someone... about BOTH locations. (All these stores contained was PUPPIES)

I was feeling horrible, but I went to PetSmart on the way home to look at some toys and whatnot. I am always preparing for when April comes around. There was an adorable little girl with a 4mo old Yorkie girl. When I tell you this baby was show quality... NO LIE! GORGEOUS!!! So I asked her mom for some information about where she got her puppy. She told me from a breeder in Philadelphia and that she paid $750 for her. The vet said she was PERFECT! So when I asked for the name of the breeder, she said it was her last litter and wouldn't give me any information. I am crushed.

I know that many people can spend thousands on a puppy... but I can't. I've researched and contacted breeders in my area about upcoming litters and they want $2500 minimum for a puppy. I just can't. Don't get me wrong I have the ability and money to care for a pet, but I can't justify thousands of dollars for the initial purchase. Why can't I find a baby for $750 that's perfect and not from a puppy mill?????

So maybe I went a bit off topic (I know, I'm frustrated and extremely sad about what I saw today) and I guess the most important question is where should I be reporting these Puppy Stores to? It is SICKENING! (I won't be sleeping well tonight.)

Last edited by suzeb29; 01-30-2009 at 02:59 PM.
suzeb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!