View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #44
yorkiepuppie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miao View Post
People like that certainly are letting their "power" get to their heads. It is experiences like yours that discourage others from rescuing. I've always wanted to adopt and/or foster the older and not as likely to find a home dogs and cats in the future when my husband's retired and we're better prepared for that kind of commitment. So far I've been leaning more towards adopting from the S.P.C.A. and similar societies as opposed to some more invasive rescues when the time comes. I really value my own privacy and I have a hard time trusting strangers going through my home and getting enough personal information practically for burglary or identity theft even. And I really hate being judged by strangers and hate feeling like my "child" is never truly my own whether it be the skin or fur kind. I admire those who are able to rescue and who don't mind the home inspections and filling out those interview forms as I understand a certain need to do so, however, because of my personality, I wouldn't be able to go through the same.
yea...rescues are a little different i think. they expect a lot more from everyone, and they certainly can make you feel very "judged" i am guessing that they are trying to do their best, but maybe they are just overwhelmed? they can certainly improve some of the procedures to make it a more pleasant experience for everyone that's part of the process.

Quote:

yorkiepuppie, maybe it just wasn't meant to be for you. But if you're set on rescuing, try a different group? I don't think all fosters will be like the one you had the misfortune to be toyed around by. Since your fiance is that allergic, have you considered getting Milu a doggy companion instead? Maybe an older but still playful one to skip the puppy training stage? Even though my dog loves chasing the cat, I think she'd be happier with a doggy companion as they'd be more "equals" than she is with my cat now. It depends on the dog and cat, I suppose, since my shih-tzu was happy with just human companions, but she was thrilled with kittens (and played the part of a submissive girl belly-up when they made barely audible hisses at her). She was my cat's most favourite sibling ever as she never "chased" or "chewed" on her but they'd curl up together and the shih-tzu allowed her to groom her. We had always hoped our shih-tzu would be around when we were finally ready to bring a yorkie puppy home, but that wasn't meant to be.
i don't think everyone's going to be like that either. i would like to try to find a kitty from shelter/rescue to adopt. because i think it's nice to be able to provide for an animal who needs a home as oppose to purchasing one. but i think that i will not be able to get the breed that i really wanted if i go with adopting from the shelter/rescue.

Quote:
Don't get disheartened! But I do hope those kittens fostered by that parent will all eventually find a good home.
i hope the best for the kittens as well. they are very lovable, and i think they will find a good home. i just wish it was me!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!