View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
yorkiepuppie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Unlove rescue workers, can you please tell me if i was treated fairly?

Sorry this is long, but i need to give you enough info. so you can help me with my question.

i recently found a cat that i really wanted to adopt from a rescue (i been looking for a specific breed for years, and never found one near where i lived). i had wanted just one kitten, but since they had the requirement of adopting 2 kittens at the same time. i was willing to adopt two.

i went through the application, had two references write to them, and also had my vet's recommendation. (these references were required by the rescue) (the vet also told them to call him if they wanted any more info. and said that he would be very happy to talk to them)

the application went through, and the interviewer called me for an interview. during the interview, i told her that my fiance was allergic, at which point the interviewer told me that we don't need to go further, because she knows the rescue, and they won't approve my application.

i asked her if she didn't mind, i would still like to at least go through with the interview. she was ok with that, so we went on. and when she asked where would the cats sleep, i told her that they couldn't sleep on our bed because fiance will not be able to breath if they did. at this point, the interviewer again informed me that the rescue will not like that.

we finished the interview, i didn't have any expectations, because she told me many times that i wouldn't get approved. but i was very happy and surprised when they emailed me to tell me that my application was approved.

i went to the foster parents house to visit the kittens. i fell in love with 2 kittens, and the foster mom told me that i would have a week to consider it. 2 days later, she told me that someone else is interested in adopting the kitties i wanted to adopt. so i had to make a decision right then, so i told her: yes, i would like to adopt both kitties.

she emailed back to tell me that after consideration, she doesn't want me to adopt both kittens, i would have to choose one, and adopt a different kitty along with the kitten i choose.

it was really hard for me, because i guess i kind of bonded with both kitties. and then later that day, she emailed me to tell me that one of the kittens i wanted was adopted. she also said that i needed to commit to the other kitten right the way if i wanted to adopt.

so i said, ok, i would like to adopt the two kitties. one i bonded with, along with the other kitty that i didn't really know...

she emailed me back the next day and told me that i wasn't crazy enough about BOTH kitties, so she doesn't want to place them with me.

i was heartbroken, because i researched and researched and bought them food, toys, litter box, and was really ready to welcome them to my house that day.

i spent the day crying. i guess i really got my hopes up.

my fiance was really angry with the way they handled everything. he said "let's just look for a breeder" ...

i really wanted to adopt, but can you please tell me if i was treated fairly? i felt that the foster parent really abused her power, and i have no idea what happened. i would have been ok, if she told me in the beginning that she thinks i am not going to be a good mommy or something like that. but i don't understand why she kept stringing me along, getting my hopes up, and then, tell me that i wasn't crazy enough about both kitties. ( how can i be crazy about a kitty that i didn't get to spend time with? i told her that i needed to make sure the cats were really gentle because my yorkie is only 3lbs and VERY friendly, and need to make sure kitties wont' hurt her.)

did i do something wrong? what could i have done differently? i am heartbroken, i really thought i was going to welcome the kitties home.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!