View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
wildcard
Senior Yorkie Talker

Nope it is different, it is a canine version for dogs and I think wolves can get it. My understanding is that it is usually transmitted by physical contact- sniffing, licking, or sexual contact, but there is a possibility it can be airborne, but I would think the dogs would have to be in pretty close contact for that because it is not a hearty virus. Best way to avoid problems is to keep bitches and litters isolated for about 3 weeks prior and 3 weeks after they are born. Once they are over 3 weeks most puppies can develop a fever to kill it off.

Usually a bitch develops an immunity to it and so if the first litter is affected, subsequent litters will not be, BUT I recently read that there is a possibility of a carrier status where a bitch can acquire and then maintain the virus without building up an immunity, but I am not sure how that actually works. I would think one way to know if that is the case with a particular bitch would be to titer test for it, something I would probably do if my bitch lost a litter to the virus but I wanted to breed her again.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!