View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Deirdre
Yorkie Yakker

Default Poison or Liver Shunt? What are the signs?

Howdy All,
Came home after my daughter's gymnastic's class and my little Pip (5 months old) was NOT himself. Shaky, jerky body movements and he kept tipping over. Couldn't walk, back legs were stiff and wouldn't move. Seemed out of it, drunk like.

Rushed him to the ER and they said there's a chance he could have eaten something toxic or that it might be a liver shunt. They fed him charcoal just in case. Looked better when they finally let me see him an hour later but was still a little jerky in movements and acted like he didn't know me. Or could have been that he hated being there and just wanted to leave. They sent me home and by that time he was his normal self.

Next morning I went over the the rooms he had access to and all I could find is an empty bottle of Elmer's kid glue with the top off it and a tennis ball that he had chewed half the rubber from the middle. My gut tells me it's the glue or the tennis ball but the ER was thinking it was Liver Shunt.

Can anyone tell me what the symptoms of poisoning are and what Liver Shunt symptoms are?

Thanks,
Deirdre & Pip

P.S.
I plan on having blood work done next month before he gets fixed. Also plan on laying down the law that unless any of the family is 100% keeping an eye on him he's to be fenced off in the kitchen where he can't get into anything!!! Also plan on keeping all the tennis balls way up high when not playing with him.
Deirdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!