View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Rockdiva
YT Addict

Here is a link to the AAHAs Canine Vaccine Guideline. http://www.ufsheltermedicine.com/new...ine_Vax_GL.pdf
This is the group that sets the protocol for which vets are 'supposed' to follow, doesnt usually happen that way. You will see that it recommended that after the initial puppy shots it is advised that vaccines only be given based on titer testing results AND a dogs lifestyle being considered. (The chart for this starts around page 4 I think) There should not be an across the board, same for every dog, vaccine rule. There are arguments that titer testing is not a 100% accurate way to test a dogs immunities, but from what I understand vaccines are not 100% either and can actually do damage from over vaccinating. You are also not supposed to vaccinate a dog unless it is completely healthy. Which means no allergies, colds, recent illness, ANYTHING. How often do vets check a dogs health before they give a shot?? Sorry to get on a soap box here, but this has become something I feel very strongly about. I see a more hollistic type vet (who also believes that there is a place for conventional medicine if used properly, I love that!) once a year and in the next couple months I will be doing the first set of titers on Wookie in place of standard vaccination.
Rockdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!