Thread: first heat
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Missiemiss
Donating Yorkie Yakker

OK - here you go -here are some suggestions...

First - she will spot - there will be small amounts of blood. You can protect your furniture/carpet/clothes by putting a diaper on her. YOu can purchase doggie diapers, use a hankerchief or even go get some newborn baby diapers and cut a hold in them for the tail.

She can be bathed and it's important to keep her clean. She WILL keep herself clean.

Her vulva will become enlarged - this is normal - don't freak out! The swelling will go down at the end. Heat cycle is around 21 days in three phases with the last phase being "standing heat" where she will stand for a male. This does NOT mean that she won't stand during any part of it.

If you are not breeding - keep her safe and away from males. Mailes will SNIFF HER OUT. You will have potential suitors at your door because of her phermones. She may go through a personality change during this time. I have had bitches that are aggressive and others that are very loving. Most are in all those ranges at different times of the cycle.

I hope this helps! Others will be along also to assist and provide input! Take their suggestions - they are here to help!

If you aren't going to breed my suggestion would be to get her spayed after her heat cycle. It's a personal decison on your part but lots of reasons why you should - for her health reasons.

You're gonna do great!

Welcome!!!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!