Thread: New here :-)
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
MauiGirl
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethc125 View Post
Thank you for all the replies and advice I will definately supervise the kids with the puppy. My girls (4&6 year old) has been watching youtube videos of yorkie puppies for the past few weeks. I wanted them to see just how small the pups are and how a little dog acts alot different than a big dog. I told them not to hold the puppy unless me or my hubby is around, never to feed it anything, and so on. Ive been doing everything I can think of to prepare them. My youngest Im sure will take an interest in the puppy but he doesnt pay too much attention to our golden unless the golden comes to him first.
And these little pups love to get under your feet, so it's easy for kids to trip and fall on them. Even stepping on a foot can cause injury that can cost thousands to repair. They are as easy to pick up as a toy, so it is tempting to kids, but the puppies can wiggle out of their hands and fall. They are also very playful, so get more interest than some bigger or older dogs. Teach kids never to put something around the pups neck, no ropes or collars, as tracheas are fragile and can easily collapse. Puppies can choke on small toys, so watch for that too.

Gee, I don't mean to point out all the dangers. You are so smart to look into this thoroughly first, to be aware. On the upside---Yorkies are so amazingly cute, cuddly, loyal, brave, and will steal your heart in a second. My daughter says they aren't "dogs" they are children with fur; she's right.

Just gotta protect them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!