Thread: New here :-)
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
NewYorkieLover
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Hello and welcome! I'm a relatively new Yorkie Momma, so I can't answer all your questions. But I can say that I think you will LOVE having a Yorkie!

1. My golden retriever is a male and is not neutered but will be before we bring the yorkie into the house. Do you think there will be any big issues if we get a male yorkie and neuter him also as soon as he can be? (they will never be left unsupervised due to my goldens size)

**I really don't know about this, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I would look into Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer) about suggestions for introducing a new dog, and dominance issues.

2. My Golden currently eats Canidae All Life Stages. Will a Yorkie puppy be able to eat that at first? or should I get some kind of small puppy kibble like Wellness or something?

**I don't use this food, but I would suggest that you ask your vet the next time you are there and see what (s)he says.

3. What age is best to bring a Yorkie home in your opinion? 6, 8, 10, 12 weeks?

**As hard as it may be to wait, my vote would be 12 weeks. They should be well socialized and more psychologically ready to leave their mommas. Being a little bigger, you won't have as many potential problems with hypoglycemia and in relating to a big dog and small children.

4. I hear about having to have Yorkies teeth pulled. Is that every Yorkie? is there any other medical issues that have to be dealt with that are common like that?

**I'm sure not every Yorkie's teeth need to be pulled, but I know it is fairly common. When Lexi was spayed, they pulled a few of her baby teeth that hadn't come out. Unfortunately, she didn't have all of her adult teeth in yet, so we now have some "double" teeth. One advantage to getting a male is that time is not as critical for neutering. In females, some feel it is best to do it before their first heat. So, you may have the leeway to wait until all of your pup's baby teeth are out. That way, if any need to be pulled, you can do it with the neutering.

5. What is your most favorite thing about your Yorkie baby or babies?

**That is so hard to answer! Lexi is absolutely adorable, she's so loving, and she brings great joy to our family. There's so much more, but I couldn't write it all!

Im sure I will have more questions but thats all that is on my mind at the time. Any advice you have for me will be greatly appreciated I look forward to talking with all of you more

**Ask away! I think it's great that you are learning so much ahead of time. I wish I had known of YT this much in advance of getting Lexi. You will be well-prepared.
NewYorkieLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!