View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
amandawash
Lovin' my R & R
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfgkl View Post
We have a 3 1/2 year old golden retriever with one of the worst cases of hip dysplasia the vet has ever seen in such a young dog. She's on a pain med, and they had her alos on rimadyl(it was close to $300 for a 5 mo. supply), I couldn't afford to keep her going on that with 5 other dogs, so, when she was getting close(within about 5 weeks) of running out of rimadyl, I took it upon myself to start cutting the rimadyl back from 1 1/2 pills a day to just one, and then giving her some glucosamine I got at petsmart. She's doing fantastic, of course, she's still on the pain meds also. The vet said last time she checked her, she was even getting some muscle back, so, don't know if it's the glucosamine or what, but, whatever it is, it's working. They had said she would probalby start having a problem getting up again maybe 1-2 weeks after he last shot(she had shots once a week for 8 weeks straight of glucosamine), well, her last shot was the last shot of her 8 weeks, which was the last week in August.
Were the shots Adequan? If not, talk to your vet about it. It is AMAZING stuff, and for her, I would keep her on the daily dose of glucosamine, and keep doing the Adequan shots once per month, to maintain her comfort and keep those joints as healthy as you can. Poor baby!! We have a goldie too, so I have a super soft spot in my heart for them!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!