View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
piptickle
Love my Mika!!!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimluvsLexie View Post
While at home for Christmas with all the family Tucker lunged at one of the younger boy's feet. It happened once and I figured it was a fluke. Then it happened again. The boy was sitting in a chair and dangling his feet and Tucker was across the room. Tucker just flew at him and nipped at his feet with a disturbing, protective growl. I was shocked and embarassed. We have socialized all our dogs with kids, adults, and other dogs since day 1. We don't have a lot of kids in our family so I suppose that socializing was a bit more lax than it should have been. He is now a year old and is just now showing this behavior. He appears to dislike my grandmother as well and shows similiar behavior towards her. I'm not sure where this aggression is stemming from. My hubby and I are very concerned as we will be starting our family within the next couple of years and are afraid Tucker might be aggressive around the children. Is there anything we can do to discourage this behavior and does growing up with the children make a difference? Please help us out, this is weighing very heavy on our hearts because he is very much a part of our family and the though of rehoming him would be unbearable.
Is he neutered? This may help if it has'nt already been done. We have 4 kids ranging from 18 months -11 years and Mika has never even so much as growled/barked or snapped at any of them or anyone else. Sometimes dogs can sound aggressive when they're playing-don't forget our yorkie babies have LOTS of terrier instinct in them, maybe he was practising his hunting skills and was'nt meaning to hurt a child? I suggest lots more interaction with children with lots of praise for being gentle but be sure to watch any children around him VERY carefully. Even though Mika has never displayed aggression I still tell my kids to be gentle around her because if they hurt her she may bite them (even though I really don't think she would)
piptickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!