View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #13
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC YorkieRescue View Post
The females all were to be spayed and vetted and the male needed neuter and dental care all of which had previously not been provided.
We expected to incur a very large bill to properly bring these pups to a healthy condition.
Part of the agreement of the surrender was that all the dogs needed rabies vaccines prior to the transport.

The condition these dogs were to be surrender in does not reflect that of a reputable breeding program. Maxine Pritzer in my opinion had given substandard to nonexistent veterinary care to all of these dogs for a very long time for this to occur. Her breeding program in my opinion is substandard which is proven by her lack of care for her breeder females and also the male that she contacted us to surrender.

What is the most disturbing is the “I’m SHOCKED” thread that she is still breeding yorkies after stating she was closing her breeding operation
Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
Thank you for stopping in to clarify a lot of the confusion. Too bad that you were not around when all of the fireworks were occurring the other day. Its sad to know that this woman is still out there breeding yorkies and then disposing on them through rescues like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar's Mom View Post
i recently started to place two of my retired females with a wonderful yorkie rescue group. Changed my mind at the last minute. After I read the other thread all the way thru today, I am glad I did. I would hate for people to think that because I am a breeder, i was only "dumping" my dogs when it reality, I thought they would have a better chance at a wonderful forever home than I could find for them. The gist I got from the thread was that if a breeder surrenders a retired female to a rescue, that is 'dumping' them. i believe that is the term used in the other thread. If I read it wrong, then please forgive me.
I never come into the breeding forum as I am sure none of the breeders going the rescue forum as we live in 2 different worlds. I am not opposed to breeding or breeders that take care of their dogs or even for rescues to take in dogs from breeders as Sugar's Mom had thought about doing. I remember reading about what happened with the 2 pups and it was heartbreaking. Your story was very sad. because you loved your dogs and you cared where they went after they were no longer part of your program.

The story of Maxine and Yorkieshadow was totally 180 from that story. Imagine the physical shape they were in when you brought them back to your home after you brought them back home,that is what 7 of this woman's yorkies looked like when she said she was closing shop. She lived right in the Amish Puppymill area of OH/PA boarder and was offering them to anyone who wanted them for FREE unaltered, unvetted, unsocialized. She did not take care of the pups that she had, I was disgusted by the condition of Reese1's story of how her little pup Camden had come from this woman a few months prior. NCYR knew they were in bad shape. Yorkeishadow had started several threads about there dogs trying give them away but I think after Camden's story many YTers knew better. The male was also in bad shape as well.

I would personally not have a problem with a good and decent breeder saying I have a spayed and health female I would like to turn over from my breeding program. It was the these condition these 7 females were in that was so disturbing and that is why I called it 'dumping". Because that was just what it was. I have no problem calling a spade a spade.

Correct me if I am wrong here but when a breeder decides to retire a female and sell/rehome her don't they make sure they will never be able to produce more puppies? Wouldn't it be considered out of the question to go to a public forum and say "Anyone want a FREE yorkie?"...... That is what went on with this entire crazy mess back in August. There were pictures posted on a very frightened dog on a leash and it was stated they were not socialized nor being around people. They were kept in a shed and garage not loved and taken care of as your dogs are. I would hope that is not a standard breeding practice.

First off, she was told they needed to be vetted with at least rabies shots prior to surrender. Two had reactions and DIED at the vet because they had never had shots before and this was posted by YS. There was a bunch of craziness about a transport and after all arrangements these dogs DISAPPEARED! Reeese1 took one of her dogs prior to all of this and it was in horrible shape, needing hundreds of dollars in medical care to bring her back to health. It is still my opinion that she was not properly caring for any of her dogs.

Since this is the breeders forum and everyone is a breeder, when was the last time you offered 7 females and 1 male go without proper vet care and unaltered to anyone? Wouldn't you want to make sure they were in good health and if you did not feel they should have any more puppies wouldn't you make sure that they were spayed? These dogs were none of the above. So YES-- that is dumping!

Finally her premise for letting these dogs go in the first place was that her mother died and she was getting too old to be a breeder any longer. But in reality she kept a litter and continued to breed, sold 2 tiny little girls to a breeder (2 1/2 and 3 lb females) who is now mixing them with other breeds. How is this responsible?

I have to assume that being a member of Yorkie Talk, you would want to keep people like her from peddling this type of dog here. All that it does is give everyone a bad reputation. She has never sold any of her puppies here, was not a member and then YS would come along to help "rehome" 7 or 8 yr old unaltered females. All this does is give the reputable breeders a bad name.

I have to admit that I do go into the For Sale section and look at the puppies quite frequently and see many long standing members of this forum that have pups and everyone always seems so excited for them. They post pictures of the litter, informaiton about the parents etc. IMO this is reputable and how a breeder should project themselves. There have been many member who have purchased right here in these forums and have wonderful examples of a well bred Yorkshire Terrier. I have even seen For Sales pictures of females that have been retired from breeding programs. I as not offended by any of this as it is a reality. This entire situation is totally different than what is presented by all of the reputable breeders on YT.

I've searched all over the internet trying to get a handle on where this woman sold all of her puppies and I cannot find her anywhere. None were ever sold here, just FREE YORKIES to anyone that wanted to take one. Responsible?? Absolutely NOT! I just makes me think that not only did she not take good care of her adult does but she was probably a broker. If you don't advertise anywhere and you are producing many, many litters where are all of your puppies going to then?

I personally believe that we are all in this together. If a reputable breeder is looking to rehome a female why is it not possible for them to contact a rescue and they work TOGETHER. In my opinion you wouldn't have to surrender to a rescue, just work together. If I knew a good applicant and I knew a good breeder why wouldn't it be acceptable to just say as a rescue organization "I know of a breeder what has a female that she is selling here is her number why don't you give her a call about this dog?" Maybe if you got to know us a little better and we got to know you a little better we could work together. Are we not all doing this for the breed anyway? Rescues do not make money off of the dogs that have rehomed, so by passing on a name what would that hurt? I like to hear good stories about rehoming and this might be a way to NETWORK. Or you could just call me crazy

There is a very seedy side to breeding and that is where so many of the females come from in rescue and it is very, very sad. It is true that there are dogs put down every day by so called breeders because there breeding days are over. Some in rescue make this their life passion to take them in, rehabilitate them, and even go into these places at great risk for them selves to try to save a few dogs. They will befriend these horrible people to save a life. There are dogs out there who have no jaw left because of decay and others that cannot even stand because they have spend their life in a tiny cage. Go into the rescue forum and take a look at Ella. That is what we see every day. She's missing an eye, found on the streets of LA but she is loving and wonderful. That is our world and if we see neglect and dumping we call it just like it is. There is so much more to this story and it is very tangled and twisted.

By no means is this a reflections upon what anyone here is doing with their personal breeding program. I believe that NCYR was trying to clear up misconceptions that were given in this forum that dogs were placed with her rescue which was not the truth.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!