View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
annamalyssa
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillys_Mommy View Post
My boyfriend got me Lilly for an early birthday gift last week. She was shy and scared the first few days, but by Friday evening, she was happy, chasing us, playing with the kitties, playing with her toys, ect. At that point, she was having a hard time chewing dry food, so we called the vet and they said to try yogurt or canned food. We gave her a little canned food, and she loved it.

Saturday she went to her vet appointment, and checked out great. Got a shot, and they put some drops in her nose. Was kind of tired that night, but was ok. By Sunday evening she was vomiting, had diarrhea, was coughing and weezing, and refused food. She'd drink water, that is it. We took her back to the vet yesterday, concerned, and they gave her something for the vomiting and diahrrea and some take-home antibiotics for an upper respitory thing. Vet said do anything at this point to get her to eat, she hasn't eaten since Saturday. She's just very sad and just wants to sleep.

I'm trying to be paitent and let the meds work, and see if she'll come around, but I'm going crazy seeing her like this!! I've been trying to put the food in her mouth, but she spits it back out. The only thing I have been able to do is put yogurt on her nose and she licks it off. What do y'all think I should do? We are heartbroken for her......
Oh poor baby, she is adorable.. I am so sorry she is not feeling well.

I would go and buy some Nutri-Cal or Nutri-Stat and place it on your fingertip and rub it inside her mouth 3 times a day with the amount as directed on the tube. This is a HIGH CALORIE DIETARY SUPPLEMENT for dogs/puppies that are not eating or eating less than they should. Give this to her and I think you can also try boiled white chicken (not the dark meat) I THINK...

If she is not drinking and still vomiting or has diarrhea you may need to give her Pedialyte by Sryinge just to make sure she is getting her lost fluids back and she does not get dehydrated.

The vet shouldn't have given her a shot if she was ill as there immune system is already weak and giving them a shot will only make it harder for them to fight their own infection as well as render the vaccine useless. (I believe you said she got nose drops that is why I figured she was ill).

Also, keep the heat on in your home and maybe purchase her a heating pad for under her covers (how much does she weigh) a tiny baby can easily get pneumonia and this also may help her to feel more comfortable while fighting her infection.

If you get worried please get her back into the vet, these lil babies can get very sick, very fast.

There are others who are more educated in this area, but, sometimes you also need to ask for bloodwork as there may be another problem Yorkies are prone to such as Liver Shunt or pancreatitis.

Hope that helps you some, if you have other questions feel free to ask!!

Last edited by annamalyssa; 12-17-2008 at 08:48 AM.
annamalyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!