View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
JINANYC
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Here is the issue...

here is the issue we are facing---we found 3 breeders--all from YT referrals:

1. Many people recommend this breeder in TX and she is great! She has done genetic testing, she has answered all my questions, no bite issues with any of her dogs or other health issues, she has sent us pics of the sire and dam and they are cute, but not the kind of look I was going for. She will be mating the Sire and Dam for the first time in the next week or so, so we wont get the puppy till middle to end of March. THis is the Dam's first time breedign and the Sire has had bred before. Both parents have great coats and we like this breeder a lot---she truly cares about her pups. I would have to get on a waiting list for these puppies. If she does not have a girl, I would get my deposit back or I she can choose a puppy from a litter that has used her dogs for Stud services. She also completely makes sure that they are up to her standards (the Dam and the puppies).

2. This breeder is from North Carolina and she has been recommended more times than the TX breeder. Her puppy is 7 weeks now and she sent me updated photos. SOOOO CUTE!!!!!! A little above what I was will ing to spend though. I would get the puppy approximately the 2nd week of January. She has had not bite issues and the puppy's bite is good. No health issues for any of the pups. I love the look of her pups. Dam has a modified coat and SIre has a silky coat. When asked about genetic testing this is what she said: "Have you done genetic testing on the Sire and Dam? This is another particularly controversial subject. I do not test my parents, because it really has nothing to do with the direct parents of a puppy, but rather the entire line. If you were truly going to do extensive testing, you would really need to test parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and all pups from their litters, etc. and of course that’s not feasible. What I do instead of putting them through tests that aren’t really going to tell me anything (for example you could bile acid test you adults but if those adults don’t have a liver shunt it’s not going to show up, so you could say the parents are healthy and have been tested so the pups will be fine…but that’s not necessarily true, if it’s in the lines the pups could still get it, and it wouldn’t have to show up in the parents), is that I choose my breeding dogs from good lines that have had no genetic problems that I can find. It’s more difficult than it sounds, but if I am purchasing a dog and the person selling cannot give me straight answers and information on the lines for several generations back, I do not get the dog from them. I try to be as careful as I can when choosing who I will breed.

3. THis breeder was also found on YT and this is her second litter. Her first litter was sooooooo cute! She is close enough for us to go and drive the few hours to see the puppy in 5 more weeks (puppies just born this week). The only issue is she does not do genetic testing and so far had no issues till the other day she found out she may have any issue from the first litter.

SO now, do we wait for the 3rd breeder to see her pups?, but then we may get further down on the waiting list for the TX breeder and will lose out on the North Carolina. OR do we wait for the TX puppies who we havent even seen or are sure that a female will be amongst the puppies and lose out on NOrth Carolina. OR do we go with the North Carolina one?

If breeder does not do genetic testing, is that a bad sign?????

We just want to love a puppy....why is this so hard??
JINANYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!