View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBug View Post
Hi all, I also just joined the forum. My 7 month old yorkie was found to have high liver levels pre labs for her spay. We just underwent the Bile acid panel and were informed- abnormal. Pre level was 33.7, post meal was 68.4. My vet is either recommending 1) medical mgment only and diet which can eventually catch up with her or 2) a referral to other hospital for extensive testing. He suggests this is a shunt. Any feedback or information? I am just lost, my little Lilly is my cuddlebug.
What kinds of symptoms is your baby exhibiting? Is she a picky eater? does she vomit? any UTIs? dark urine? smelly urine? occassional lethargy? head bobbing? etc?

Typically numbers that are above normal but under 100 are more indicative of MVD (microscopic shunting throughout the liver) and numbers above 100 are more indicative of liver shunt. This is ONLY a *guideline* though...There are dogs that have had numbers under 100 with a liver shunt and dogs with numbers above 100 with MVD.

The main thing right now if your baby has any symptoms at all is to get her on the right *type* of protein which should be vegetarian/dairy because these types are less encephalogenic.
Canned L/D or dry Royal Canin Hepatic LS 14 are recommended if symptomatic. If not, Natural Balance Vegetarian.
Also, it's important to avoid single large meals. Make sure she's eating at least 4 small meals per day to help lighten the load on the liver.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!