View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
MeganS
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Don't get on the defensive, the posts here are quite tame and everyone's only trying to save you a lot of potential heart ache.

First of all, welcome to YT. Thank you for giving this girl a home.

As you know, there are a lot of "designer dogs" out there. That is a term that is frowned upon. I DO think Morkies, etc., are cute, but they aren't a breed so therefore they certainly aren't any kind of standard. My guess is if you bred a yorkie and a silky together, all you would get is some puppies who look like nonstandard yorkies or silkies. There is nothing wrong with puppies who aren't standard, but there's no sense in breeding FOR them. Honestly, if your friends want pets, tell them to go to a nearby shelter. There are plenty of potential pets whos' time is running out. OR tell them to go to a reputable breeder who breeds to better the breed. There are a lot of ways that they could get a pet.

People who breed should be doing it for the love of the breed and to better a breed. If someone breeds just because they want to try it, they are just overpopulating the already bursting dog population. Take a trip to your local pound or shelter - look at all of the mix breeds in there, do you really want to add to that number?

This really is the site you want to be on if you want information. There is no reasn you couldn't be a breeder in the future - but I would hope that you will educate yourself, and only breed for the love of a breed, not to make cute little puppies with any random dogs. Especially because you said that your girl is a teacup (which is also a term that is frowned upon, as it is usually used as a marketing ploy), it is very dangerous to breed very small dogs. Is the male bigger than her? The puppies could grow too big for her to carry, and she could A) Die during birth B) need a C-Section (that costs A LOT of money and is also very dangerous) or C) lose the puppies, which would be devestating to her.

If you want to be a breeder, this is an excellent resource of a site. There are many, many very experienced breeders on here who would be willing to help you find a lot of information. I hope that you get your girl spayed, do TONS of reasearch on the breed, then if you still decide that it's for you, look into getting some truly standard dogs.

Best of luck to you. Stick around - there's endless amounts of information!

~Megan

All Gave Some; Some Gave All

Last edited by MeganS; 11-24-2008 at 12:17 PM.
MeganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!