Thread: Dew claws
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
yorkiepuppie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcornell View Post
If we do remove them I would wait until he had to go under anesthesia for something else. I try to avoid anesthesia if at all possible. I really dont know what to do. They dont bother him but I would hate to have one get ripped off. I can see it would be a hard recovery because of the licking accessablity. I have never heard of them growing back.
milu had one dew claw that grew back, the vet explained to me that it's because they didn't do it right the first time. (didn't cut off enough, so it can still grow back)

i had the vet take if off when milu was getting spayed. i didn't make the decision, i just threw it at the vet and said "do what you think is best, because i have no idea"

so the vet removed it. i did some research after wards....and it seems like it's more painful for them than the spay surgery, because you are cutting off a 'bone' so...if i had known that, then maybe i would have told the vet not to do it...but milu did fine after the removal.

she tried to chew on the stitches, so you will have to watch them to make sure they don't hurt themselves.

let me know if you have anymore questions that i can help you with.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!