View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 05:58 AM   #13
C C Kent
YT Addict

Default More Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
Mutations in genes is a very complicated thing as it can be cause by 2 different things but occurs in many ways in 1 of them. They can be caused by environmental sources-for example: viruses, chemicals, ultraviolet light, etc. And then there is just the happenstance of mutation during DNA replication-this is where it gets complicated, because there are several ways the sequence of DNA can be altered. Point mutations occur when wrong base pairing occurs, insertion (extra bases are added into the DNA, therefore it causes wrong base pairing, and then deletion (during replication bases are accidently removed). The chocolate yorkie is most definitely a phenotype mutation, whereas the mutation can be seen by the outward appearance. But the exact cause of the mutation could be anybody's guess. Also in my opinion the chocolate yorkie COULD be a recessive gene and not a mutation, but on the flip side of that opinion if it were a recessive gene then wouldn't it show up more often? Technically yes and no- yes because recessive genes show up when you have 2 carrier parents and with the amount of yorkie breeding going on these days you would think more chocolates would appear. But no because it could be rare enough that not many yorkies are carriers so you don't get many chocolates. I'll stop here because I could go on and on for pages.
Could you eloborate on this a little more please? Specifically the environmental sources and wrong base pairing.

Also if anyone knows about the eye color of the chocolates and the relation to the coat color and texture that would be a good post as well.

I'm not interested in breeding them but any sort of mutation and relational findings are helpful in removing characteristics from a given program.

Thanks
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!