View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #30
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinehaven View Post
There may be no proof that the off colored yorkies are pure but there is no proof that they are not. To me it is more logical that the non papered, free to roam dogs who began this breed had more genes hiding in their background then their blue and tan coat coloring revealed.

Color discrimination is a good way to describe it ... Some don't accept the parti, golden or chocolate yorkies but they will accept their blue and tan full siblings & blue and tan parents (grand parents, great grand parents ...) who carry the same genes. Is it because they are the accepted color (blue and tan)? Their correct coloring must make them a pure bred? The traditional colored parents who produced these off colors, are just as much of a "non purebred" as their off colored pups are, yet the traditional colored ones are accepted?

I don't see the same color discrimination with black coated adults. I'm sure some who oppose the parti, chocolate and golden colored yorkies, may own and breed a black and gold, or sooty colored yorkie?

I found an interesting website that had excerpts from a diary written in the 1870's where a man was in search of "Scotch terriers" to improve his bloodlines. In his writings he talks about seeing different lines (owned by different breeders) of scotch terriers with white feet and bald (white) faces. The yorkie has Scotch terrier in their background, Swift's Old Crab was a crossed scotch terrier (crossed with what I wonder?)

You can't tell the genes within a dog, by looking at the color of it's coat and even though it's thought that the founding dogs were only blue and tan, that does not mean the genes within them will only produce blue and tan offspring.
Yes there is proof Biewers are not pure yorkies. The Biewer Club members submitted DNA samples from their dogs to a geneticist; the report came back there is very little yorkie in these dogs.
That was on the Biewer Terrier CLub of AMerica website for a while, disappeared last time I checked.
There is no such colour as a gold born yorkie pup. I have seen pictures of alleged pb gold born and they do not look at all like purebreds.
A gold mature yorkie can result from colour running gold where the gold furnishings have run into the blue covering the blue. Buit if you cut down the coat, you can see the blue pattern. It would considered to be pet quality, not something to be used in a breeding program.
Chocolate colour yorkies are a result of two recessive genes. There have been certain health issues mostly skin problems but not really something you can 't live with as far as I know. I don't know what kind of longevity for a life spand has been noted in a Chocolate yorkie.
Understanding the world of purebred dogs and understanding breed standards, working with long time reputable show breeders will usually clear up any questions about why a parent Club such as YTCA would not allow 'rare' colours or other anomolies to take over the breed.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!