View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #25
Pinehaven
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiekist View Post
The YTCA does not believe that the parti yorkie and the other odd ball colors are pure Yorkie. The Yorkie does not carry the pieball gene. Research the history of the Yorkie. It has already been established that the Biewer is not a pure Yorkie. It probably started as a shih-tzu or papillon Yorkie cross. This is most likely the same for the parti Yorkie. There have been way too many irresponsible "breeders" before DNA tests that were only "in it" for the $$$$. I have witnessed first hand how some of these "breeders" have produced parti colored "yorkies" and believe me, they were not pure Yorkie. Then these "breeders" ask outlandish amounts of $$ for these "rare" colored puppies. These are two of the reasons that YTCA will not change their standards: no proof that they are 100% Yorkie and YTcA does not support "breeders" that only breed for $$$ and are not interested in breeding to the breed standard. These "breeders" do not have the best interest of the breed as the #1 priority.
There are others on this forum that have other opinions about this issue.
There may be no proof that the off colored yorkies are pure but there is no proof that they are not. To me it is more logical that the non papered, free to roam dogs who began this breed had more genes hiding in their background then their blue and tan coat coloring revealed.

Color discrimination is a good way to describe it ... Some don't accept the parti, golden or chocolate yorkies but they will accept their blue and tan full siblings & blue and tan parents (grand parents, great grand parents ...) who carry the same genes. Is it because they are the accepted color (blue and tan)? Their correct coloring must make them a pure bred? The traditional colored parents who produced these off colors, are just as much of a "non purebred" as their off colored pups are, yet the traditional colored ones are accepted?

I don't see the same color discrimination with black coated adults. I'm sure some who oppose the parti, chocolate and golden colored yorkies, may own and breed a black and gold, or sooty colored yorkie?

I found an interesting website that had excerpts from a diary written in the 1870's where a man was in search of "Scotch terriers" to improve his bloodlines. In his writings he talks about seeing different lines (owned by different breeders) of scotch terriers with white feet and bald (white) faces. The yorkie has Scotch terrier in their background, Swift's Old Crab was a crossed scotch terrier (crossed with what I wonder?)

You can't tell the genes within a dog, by looking at the color of it's coat and even though it's thought that the founding dogs were only blue and tan, that does not mean the genes within them will only produce blue and tan offspring.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!