View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #62
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

While it's true some people get their puppies earlier that 12 weeks, that is the minimum age at which the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America, which is the mother club of the AKC allows it's breeders to release a puppy. Important socialization skills are learned from the mother and littermates at this time, like the biting reflex, the mother teaches the puppy how hard to bite, something that humans are not as easily able to do. I don't wish to get into all the reasons why 12 weeks should be the minimum age, but I will tell you this, when a breeder releases a yorkie or other toy breed before this age it's a huge red flag. While I'm sure there are good and bad breeders everywhere the bad ones aren't that easy to spot, especially when you have puppy fever and a budget. Pennsylvania and Missouri have more than their share of puppy mills, and you need to be especially cautious when purchasing a puppy from these states. Have you seen pictures of the parents? A good breeder would easily have many pictures of the parents. Puppy mills sometimes have a problem of coming up with a picture.

Join today and remove this ad!