View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
If she is asymptomatic, you might be able to do Natural Balance Vegetarian or something along those lines. I would give you Ellie's recipe but her nutritionist did low-moderate protein and any meat source basically (maybe because she is pretty much asymptomatic). I think we are okay with it but I wouldn't recommend it for other liver compromised dogs.

Some of the better proteins are tofu, cottage cheese and egg.
Fish is okay for some dogs and you might get away with chicken.
Turkey is very questionable and I would not use red meat, pork or exotics at all. Some of this depends on who you ask. Does that answer your question?

By far my favorite diet for liver compromised dogs is homecooked.
Oh, and I cook once or twice a month and freeze it.
They should eat small meals more often.
Ellie eats three times a day but 4-6 is really better.

Could you post the ingredients to the food you are thinking about?
If I had to feed Ellie kibble, I might go with NB Vegetarian if there are no corn derivatives in it.
Good grief! I said NV, but meant NB....

Here are the ingredients in NB Vegetarian you suggested:
Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Peas, Potato Protein, Canola Oil, Potatoes, Tomato Pomace, Vegetable Flavoring, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberries, L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-2 Supplement, Folic Acid.

and here are the ingredients in NB Sweet Potato and Fish:
Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Canola Oil, Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil (a source of DHA), Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

I guess that one isn't so good after all....I think Salmon was one you should stay away from for liver-compromised right?? (possible Mercury content or something??)

I guess if her BAT comes back abnormal, I should just pay the money and do the consult on the site you linked in another thread (I saved it!) and/or use the NB Vegetarian. It has 18% protein. I can already see I'm going to have problems feeding her multiple times a day. Bella really will only eat for me once a day usually, but of course she gets kibble. Anytime I offer her a "human food" snack, she eats it. I guess she just likes variety, because she loves her kibble while it's new, and then goes back to eating only passively, but a change in kibble will make her more eager again. My boyfriend could feed her "lunch" I think, but I don't know if I'd be able to do 3 times a day every day . I'm pretty sure if I home cooked, she'd eat breakfast even though she won't right now, but I worry if I stick with the same recipe, she'll grow tired of it and will go back to eating like she does now.

Do you ever vary Ellie's diet or is it always the same? I don't know if that's ok at all for liver-compromised pups, but I'd like to if at all possible.....I think it would make for more eager eating and possible less sensitivity or pickiness in the long run but I don't know?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!