Thread: Spaying????
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcerella02 View Post
When Layla was spayed she went in in the morning and came home at night. An e collar is a plastic collar that goes around their neck to keep them from getting at their stiches. But this is horrible uncomfortable they can't eat or sleep well in it so most of us just skip it and instead use an infant onesie- You can buy them at walmart- 3 in a pack- When Layla was spayed she was 3 lbs and the premie fit great. You just snap it up under their bums and it is so much more comfy

She will be able to pee normal but depending on how she reacts to the meds you might have to hold her up- Layla wasn't able to stand when she came home because she was so out of it.

Make sure you have a few days off to spend with her- she will need constant supervision to be sure she is safe and leaving her incision alone.

She SHOULD come home with pain meds- this is MAJOR surgery and will hurt quite a bit- that being said- Layla did not come home with pain meds (arg.. stupid vet- we dont' go to him anymore) she just slept and after 2 days was walking around normal- didn't SEEM to be in pain although i'm sure she was *sigh*
I concur and absolutely yes on the pain meds.
If the vet that is going to do the spay won't dispense them, I'd find a new vet. Some vets don't give them because they think the dog needs to feel pain so they stay quiet. Well, pain meds can make them sleepy which is good and this is abdominal surgery. It has got to be extremely painful, so I would insist on meds.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!