View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
levi2001
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 019

I'm certainly no expert but I've just gone through the coming thing and I've found that the worse thing to do is to chase her. I trained her to come to me by going outside, (which she loves) hiding some string cheese in my pocket & when she got far enough away, I would say "Rio, Come!"
It only took about 3-4 times before she realized that "hey, I get a treat if I do that". I said it with enthusiasm too, if I said it firm, she wouldn't do it. Your little one is still pretty small so it might be that she is just too small yet to want to. Mine is much more mindful now that she is a few months older. I got her when she was 6 mos. Now that she's 13 mos. she has changed a bit but she will still do the same as yours, sometimes go out in the pen forever & not go to the bathroom until she comes in. I have watched her pattern & in the morning she'll pee, eat, pee on the pad, then have to go out. Evening is a little more difficult, I just have to watch to try to get her @ the right time. She's on a schedule, usually goes around 5 pm. I have the pad by the door so when it's raining she can go there, that seems to work but she still goes through a phase of going on carpet, then will stop again for awhile. I'm hoping it stops altogether soon. I find watching, the pads & trying to watch the pattern is the key. Also, I let her know that it is "BAD" to go on the carpet. I also use a playpen with her.
I've raised a Jack Russell from 8 wks. old who is fantastic & does all kinds of tricks & was not hard @ all to train to go out. Seems like yorkies are just stubborn to potty train. I don't know if any of this will help, I hope so. Good Luck!
levi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!