View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

can you try to psych her out by bringing her in and then turn around and take her back out? I highly recommend pad training cause it at least it will be contained to one area.

For her not coming to you, she probably thinks it is a game. In training, our instructor has us literally run up to the dog holding a treat right in front of using using whatever command you have for come and treating. This is to desensitize the dog to run from you when you go to them. She recommends using a word other than come since she feels it a word that is overused for other things. A word could be "front" for example. something else that I've done is turn around and start to walk away...they will come to me at this point.

I just asked her last night about what to do if you say "come" and they don't, she said that she goes and gets the dog and literally pulls (obviously gently) back to the point where you first wanted them to come to and treat and praise. This tells the dog that he is too listen and that when he does, he will get treat and praise.

In a perfect world this will happen. Hot Rod has had training and tests me at times and Maggie is currently in training. Hope this makes sense. good luck.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!