View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonballenger View Post
i was just going by what the bag said to feed them, and the treats are every once in a while not everday and not several a day.
Maybe I missed this somewhere??....how old is your baby? How old he is determines how much food he is allowed per day. A puppy can have access to quite a bit more food than an adult, because they are growing and are generally more active, therefore needing more calories each day. I have been told that generally speaking, the daily allowances listed on the bag are more than what your dog really needs per day--this is more true of dog food companies that care more about making money than producing a quality product (usually premium dog foods list a better idea of a true daily allowance)....just think, the more dog food you set out every day, the more dog food they sell!! If your dog/puppy does not seem fat (check to make sure he has a nice waistline when looking from above, and feel his ribs--you should be able to feel them pretty easily), he probably just wasn't finished growing. Like I said before, puppies should have access to more food than adults, but if yours is an eater (a lot of dogs will eat whatever is put in front of them--their owners say they could always eat more if more was available, but a lot of dogs only eat until they're full and then leave the rest) than you'll have to watch more closely how much he is eating--if he's not overweight, then keep doing what you're doing. Several of the better dog food brands have "healthy weight" or "reduced calorie" type varieties, so that may be something you want to do if he's an adult and overweight, that is.

Where do you live in GA? If you give us the names of the dog foods available to you, we may be able to point you in a good direction, or you can check out the sticky at the top of page 1 of the "Health & Diet" forum....a lot of those companies will even send samples if you call or email them, that way you can see if he likes it before you buy a whole bag. You can also go on most of those companies' web sites to search if they have locations near you.
bellasmomok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!