View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildio View Post
This is the same frustrating issue I'm having with Gus.

Was Bella tested for a Urinary Tract Infection? If she has a UTI, she will pee a lot, get dehydrated, and drink lots of water.The cycle repeats frequently
I doubt she was tested for that specifically, she just had liver enzymes and BUN and Creatinine as well as a CBC. I think her "dehydration" may have just been because she hadn't had anything to drink since 10pm the night before and they didn't do the bloodwork until after 11am the next day. I'm told it's common for them to be a little dehydrated when they've been NPO like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Oh wonderful!!! She is REALLY doing great, wow!! That is just a great sign that she already has an appetite, ate 1.5T, and kept it down -- really good signs. That also tells me she probably has good pain control . What a good Mama you are!

Marcel had a bunch of teeth pulled too at his neuter (I think 7) - so it's not uncommon. He healed up just fine, didn't seem to bother him at all!

LOL on the food!! I tell ya....

Hugs to Bella and hope your weekend goes well.
She REALLY is! I gave her a little more boiled chicken along with some kibble this morning (she ate all the chicken and most of the kibble I gave her, chewing it all up and not just swallowing it whole) and gave her some more around 2:30 or so because she was so interested in my lunch (she ate all that too)! Poor little girl must be starving!! And no vomiting still--hurray! I did give her a dose of Rimadyl (1/4 of a 25mg chewable) this morning when I first got up. She was barely moving at that point, just standing in one spot and turning to look around but not walking much at all. She chewed it right up like a good girl, just like she does anything I give her, and has been great ever since! For the last hour or so, she's been playing (digging on the bed, chewing my fingers, and she's currently chewing her little rattle mouse)! I think she was just really sore this morning, and I doubt I'll give her anything tomorrow. She has also use her pad every single time to pee and poop!! Yay!!! (I was so worried that she'd revert and have to be retrained all over again like I've heard so many people say they had to do.)

Here are her lab values that were abnormal:
HCT = 55.2% (normal = 37%-55%)----I think this was the hydration indicator??....it was only very slightly high just as he said.

BUN = 29 (normal = 7-27)....I hope this was due to dehydration and it's not anything else; I'll have her retested in a month to make sure.

ALT = 302 (normal = 10-100)....this one worries me! It isn't even close to normal! Why would a liver enzyme be so abnormal like that?? Could it have anything to do with the dehydration?? I'll probably have this checked again too in a month and go ahead and do a bile acid test too. The vet didn't seem worried about it, but he didn't give me a reason why it would be abnormal either--he just said that the value was fine to be able to go ahead with the surgery. I talked to him about liver shunts, but he said she didn't exhibit any of the neurologic signs that would indicate that (I know they don't have to yet though to still have it!) He also said that he was one of the only ones in this area who would do liver shunt surgeries, so he'd seen several cases. IF she did have a shunt, though, I'd take her somewhere they do a lot of them. There's a pretty good vet school in the town I live now, so they may be more familiar?? (which incidentally is where he graduated from).

In the meantime, she has been letting me pick her up and lower her down from the couch and the bed (which I my bf and I had already taken the mattress and box springs off the rails and put on the ground before she came home just in case) for the most part. Only jumped twice....I'm doing what I can!! Tomorrow will probably be much harder, but I was hoping if I could keep her from jumping too much today and tomorrow it would help her heal faster maybe.
bellasmomok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!