View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Default Slightly Abnormal Bloodwork????

Bella is at the vet today for her spay, etc., etc..., and of course I asked them to do pre-surgical blood work. The vet just called me to let me know the results (because I asked him to)....he said that she's just slightly dehydrated (he said it was so right on on the line that he normally wouldn't have even mentioned it to anyone else, but since I asked he was telling me), and one of her kidney values was slightly elevated (he said more like upper limits of normal---normal was 27 and she was at 29)---can't remember which one he said, but I know it wasn't Creatinine because he made sure to say that one was good, and I don't think it was BUN either. He said that this one is probably off because she's dehydrated a little bit.....

Here's the pickle....Bella drinks lots of water and pees a LOT every day, so it's weird to me that she's even slightly dehydrated, unless it's because she hasn't had anything to drink since last night around 9:30 or 10:00 pm???

Also, I've been thinking about switching her to a grainless food since she tears so much, but now I'm worried about doing that since she had an abnormal renal value..... I talked to him about whether or not a grainless diet would be okay because of the test results, and he said he doesn't recommend going grainless because it will set her up for renal problems. I've read a lot about grainless diets, and I thought what I'd read was that grainless diets are not good for dog with renal disease, but it doesn't CAUSE renal disease and is good for a healthy dog??? After saying a grainless diet is not good because dogs need a well-balanced diet, he said he recommends RC and Science Diet. I told him that I'm pretty sure I read about several dogs having problems with and even dying from the RC (that's right isn't it? or am I thinking of something else??), and he said you can't believe everything you read on the internet and if that were true there would be a law suit over it. I told him that I have her on a premium food (Innova California Natural), and that I was thinking of switching her over to Wellness or NV, to which he replied that those newer companies spend most of their money on advertising their product instead of putting their money into the quality of their food. IMO, he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. I told him that I've never seen any advertising for any of those foods, and he just said that I could feed her what I want to, but those are the 2 he recommends.

Anyone???
bellasmomok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!