View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolce0621 View Post
The reason I would believe in the breeder more then the vet that we took him to is that if cocci and giardia are such common infections and you guys can and the breeder can recognize symptoms for it, then why would the ER vet not check for it, or even think that it could be a possibility and check for parvo instead? Even after he's seen that Dolce is immunized against parvo, with all his shots up to date.

Maybe the vet we took him to just wasn't a good one, because of that can someone tell me how to collect a fecal sample to bring to a different vet because i doubt that Dolce will go on command and I would like to request that those bacterial infections be checked for.
My guess is the vet wanted to immed. rule out parvo as it is terribly life threatening - so it was a good decision. I find it very odd though that since the fecal was there, that he didn't run cocc. and giardia.

If the diarrhea has stopped already, then I probably wouldn't worry much about it. However, if there is still diarrhea - then just watch for your pup to go, grab a baggie, collect it in the baggie, put that baggie inside another baggie. On the baggie, write the time of the poo - and get the sample to the vet as soon as you can. Giardia is notorious for hiding under scope, so often they have to do more than 1 test to see it.

Metro would treat giardia anyway. The real benefit of *knowing* if he has giardia is for reinfection purposes -- bc IF he has giardia, you have to clean everywhere he's been while being treated. Bc during treatment they shed giardia cysts - which can reinfect them as soon as they're well.

Hope to hear he is feeling even better!

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°

Last edited by Wylie's Mom; 10-29-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!