View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
SillyStrawberry
Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi! I have a 4 month old named, Strawberry. I have had the same experience. She has spent every night in her kennel since she came home a month ago and the first 3 nights she cried and cried and was very stubborn. But I made her stay in there. Then after that she started going into her kennel and napping and at night she would go in and settle in and sleep 3-4 hours, whimper to let me know she had to go outside....and I would put her back into her kennel when she was done and no problems. At around 7am she could come out, eat and then sleep with me a bit longer. She was good for about 2 weeks and even started holding her business longer and longer. I was thrilled!! However, the last week she has been testing me I think. She whines when I put her in, and I tell her to be quiet and she usually does, but every few hours she tries again with the whining. I know she can hold herself for 5-7 hours because she was doing that for weeks. It is driving me crazy! I am getting so tired. I have come very close to putting her kennel downstairs just so I can get some solid sleep. But then I would be worrying about her. Oy! Haha.

I had a yorkie when I was a kid and she slept in a kennel. It worked for us until she was older and wanted to stretch out a bit more...so I let her sleep with me. She was about 12 when I let her. After that she only went into her kennel for a few hours every once and a while when we went out. She hated it after I let her sleep with me.

I am toying with the idea of letting Strawberry sleep with me. The only reason I use the kennel is because I want her to like it in case once day we travel and she needs to be in it or if I travel and my parents babysit. They don't let dogs sleep with them or run free at night. I would hate for her to make a fuss when she is put in a kennel.

Oh, and I have tried keeping her awake as late as I can so she will sleep better in her kennel at night, but I can't. She gets sleepy at 9 and I feel cruel trying to make her play. Haha...she won't do it anyway. She just ignores me and tried to sleep. So she sleeps until bedtime and then it is bedtime. That can't be helping matters.
SillyStrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!