View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
lcbear
Yorkie Yakker

This sounds exactly what my hubby and I are dealing with. All of my dogs would sleep through the night until my female was pregnant. She had to go out quite often a couple of weeks before delivering and therefore, Teddy would also want to go out. He got into the habit of getting up every couple of hours.

Well the pups are gone but Teddy still wants out every two to three hours. Now if it were to go potty, trust me, I would continue to let him out but he wants out to play with my three cats who are now in the habit of coming to the door every two to three hours.

So Sunday night was the first "tough love" night. As hard as it was, we let Teddy bark and he continued for 1/2 hour. He finally stopped, then a couple of hours later, he started barking again. We let him bark and he did so for about 10 minutes. The third time (6:00 a.m.) we let him out and then he went back to bed til about 9:00 a.m.

Well, Monday night, he slept from 11:00 p.m. til 5:30 a.m., we let him out and then he went back to bed. We had to wake him up at 9:00 a.m.

Tuesday night (last night) the first time he woke up was 5:00 a.m. and same thing, we let him out and then he went back to bed. This morning, we had to wake him at 9:30 a.m.

So hopefully with two nights under our belt, we are on our way back to getting some sleep. Trust me, this tough love stuff is soooo much harder on us than it is on the four legged kids but it had to be done. We were so exhausted we had to do this. And sleeping with us was NOT at option as our 19 pound yorkie Lola sleeps with us and if Teddy did then Rosie would have had to and our bed is not big enough for three dogs.

So if you just ignore your baby as hard as it is, they can be retrained to sleep in the crate which I believe is a great thing. So good luck, get out the ear plugs and just ignore her.
lcbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!