View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #50
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Katelin, unfortunately we lost a second girl this morning. She was like a twin in size to the first one we lost and was oh so tiny. My wife took an extra day off work yesterday to help me. I showed her how to feed them and she was going to feed them for their 6 AM feeding while I napped. She got me up because the pup was gasping and in distress. I was surprised at this because she was doing well at her 4 o'clock feeding but I could tell she wouldn't make it and all I could do was comfort her. I did get her to relax and stop gasping and she passed quietly around 8 o'clock. We're terribly upset and completely frazzled but have to maintain for the others. As for the others, we now have 4. Of the 4, 3 of them have 'plumped' and are doing well. Two of those are eating off Mom entirely and we're not supplementing. The third plump girl I'm still supplementing but she doesn't look like she needs it anymore. I may back off on her if she continues to progress. There's still one girl that is doing better but is still very frail. She is eating well when I feed her but still looks a bit dehydrated even though I've been sub-Qing her every 12 hours (1cc) since yesterday. Hopefully, she'll turn the corner but isn't out of the woods yet. For some reason, Bonnie hasn't wanted to eat today but I finally just got her to eat something a while ago. She wouldn't even drink water today until she finally ate. I think she's upset about her babies too. She seems well, no temp or anything and is producing a good amount of milk. I'll keep trying to coax her into eating more now that her gut is going again. I just hope the worst is over and the little one keeps getting stronger. I don't feel 'guilty' but it's impossible to not feel like I've failed with these babies. Experience is not a gentle teacher.
Woogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!