View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
C C Kent
YT Addict

Default Not to worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprez73 View Post
When I first got Bailey, her ears were standing up. Then they flopped down. Now her ears are bouncing back up again. I had read somewhere that it might be because of teething (she is 10 weeks now). You can see it in the avatar. Regardless of how her ears end up...I think she is adorable. I just wanted to know if that is normal. Bailey is my first Yorkie so I'm not sure what to expect.
This is perfectly normal for a puppy her age. If you want to be sure her ears will stand you can use a beard trimmer to keep the hair off of them until she's about twelve to sixteen weeks, by then the cartilage should be firm.

Teething is often blamed for the ears dropping, and it may be true. In my experience the puppy's ears will drop in the beginning of a growth spurt and stand again afterwards. The calcium requirements of new bone growth are such that the cartilage in the ear is less stiff during rapid growth stages. Weigh her every day and test the theory...I'll bet when her growth slows her ears will stand again. During these times, and especially at her age, giving her some plain yogurt mixed with her food is a good idea. The calcium is beneficial and if the yogurt has live cultures her digestive system will benefit as well.

Congratulations on your new family member!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!