Thread: glucose
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Has your vet done glucose curves on him like they do with diabetic dogs? Is he sure the seizures are caused by hypoglycemia, not the other way around?

Seizures cause low blood sugar. Lady is prone to cluster seizures. I have checked her blood sugar on days when she has had multiple seizures and it is really low, around 40 - with no insulin. Her blood glucose normally is up over 400 if she misses a shot.

I'm concerned about the frequency of his seizures. Has your vet ever talked to you about kindling? It's a phenomenon that causes the brain to rewire itself each time Winston has a seizure so it makes a path to make the next seizure easier.

Kindling is the experimental phenomenon whereby repeated stimulation of the brain can eventually induce a chronic epileptic state that persists after the stimulation is stopped.

The underlying mechanisms of kindling are incompletely understood but involve changes in the electrical behavior of a group of brain cells. This may be related to alterations of chemical receptors (specifically what are called NMDA subtype of glutamate receptors) and changes in how these brain cells connect with each other through structures called synapses.

In a sense, by having repeated seizure the brain "learns" how to have seizures. Think about how a young child learning to write their name has to concentrate when printing each letter. After doing this over and over, we become able to quickly write our name without even thinking about the intricate hand movements involved. Obviously there is some change in our brain that allows this to happen, but it does not have to be a structural lesion.

I think of kindling as something similar. The brain is doing what it is designed to do...learn. It is just learning to do something harmful like have a seizure.

WB Thomas, DVM
Dipl. ACVIM (Neurology)
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN

Canine Epilepsy-Frequently asked questions about the diagnosis, treatment and management of seizures in dogs

I can't help but think maybe Winston has idiopathic epilepsy like Lady and his low blood sugar is a result of his seizures, not the cause. Have you ever consulted an internist? There is no test for epilepsy, a diagnosis is made by ruling out other things. I assume he has had complete bloodwork including a thyroid panel?

Has your vet ever discussed putting Winston on medication to control his seizures? My vet said that a couple of seizures a year were no big deal, but anything more frequent should be treated to prevent the seizures from becoming more frequent.

Perhaps treating the seizures would give both you and Winston a chance at a normal life. It breaks my heart to think that you are afraid to take him places or play with him for fear of a seizure. Epilepsy can be controlled: it shouldn't control you. Lady hasn't had a seizure in several years thanks to her medication.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!